Tuesday, March 15, 2005

So I'm a little peeved right now...

So normally I don't imagine I'll ever be posting in the middle of the day, but I hella have to get this off my chest. For some exotic reason, I thought it would be a good idea to on Amazon.com and read the myriad of reviews by the layman's reader of my father's autobiographical book "Left For Dead" that he wrote after being caught on Mount Everest. First of all, for those who don't know, the book was not really my family's idea as I understand it. Neither of my parents are journalists. I'm not a journalist (see here: misguided blog). It's really an autobiography. I don't like autobiographies so I don't read them often when they pertain to people I don't know. Naturally, I read his book and cried like a little girl during it. Hey, the man was dead to me for a few hours, hard to forget.

Okay, that being said, there were 2 categories of people on Amazon. Those who liked it, appreciated the fact that my father isn't perfect and more or less said that the human interest side of things, that my father is a very imperfect man and how he talks about it is really quite interesting. In my very subjective opinion, that's the whole point of my father's realization on the climb. The climb itself isn't as important to him as his epiphany that what he had been missing all his life was his family. That's his message and more or less the reason the majority of the book was dedicated to his background, his recovery, and his family and friends. Go figure.

So the other group was a bunch of people that thought it was boring because they wanted more climb story, less human interest. More action! Less emotion! Bob like mountains! Bob want blood! Gore! *throws rocks* I was not really bothered by these asinine comments mostly because I expect for stupid people to not want to read complicated and emotional things. They can go make fun of other amateur climbers, because clearly if they are sitting on their 300 lb ass judging others, they *know* what is right with climbing today. One guy pointed out that the book as if it was recorded and transcribed. That's funny, because it WAS. My father's a great talker and he didn't really try to go beyond that. Also, the man has no hands. Typing is not so likely. I wasn't honestly very fond of the editor when he was talking to us primarily because he made me cry often with constantly bringing up my uncle's death. Snot.

So what I am left with is all the comments about my mother and father. There was much criticism of how selfish my father had been. He totally acknowledges that and has worked past it. He has always said that he would climb Everest again given the option because it inspired in him a desire to be with his family again. The loss of his hands = a new life filled with appreciation for those around him. I could do without the comments saying that my father didn't deserve his redemption. Those fuckers can go die.

Now I deal with what makes me furiously angry. There were many people who criticized my mother at length, with such comments as "What a bitch!" "I would leave home too if married to her" and "She doesn't understand her husband at all and does nothing for him". Huh. That's funny. I seem to remember her standing by him for years of his antics, in addition to doing such things as becoming a certified captain because he liked to sail. Oh yeah, and constantly worrying, telling the children Daddy's not going to die, etc., etc. Some of her comments in the book were rather acerbic at times. Gosh I wonder why. Maybe years of pent up bitterness even though she continues to care for him and love him despite all.

Here's an idea, those bastards can stop judging my selfless and incredibly sweet mother or I will, as a group, rip off their testicles and make them wear them as earrings. Then I will make fun of them to others. And point. And maybe staple things to their faces. Okay then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fuckers, in general, can go die.

Yeah, I read those comments once on a boredom-on-Amazon splurge, and they honked me off, too. Basically, I chalk it up to people being fucking idiots who think they're entitled to an opinion regarding things they know nothing about.

This actually really reminds me of this one time in fifth grade where Je-fessica Ka-fratzer (google-proofed the name, thankee) was tormenting someone, as usual, and said, clear as day and snide as you please, "Oh, that's right. You can't do *anything*. You're *handicapped*." And, well, you know I'm a bit of a daddy's girl. He's handicapped, but he's accomplished a fair deal of stuff.

I don't remember who she said it to, and I don't remember the context of the conversation, and I don't know exactly what the expression on my face was, but I think that was possibly the only incident of absolute blind rage I've ever experienced. I swear to God, if the teacher hadn't called us to attention right then, good ol' Jess would have lost an eye and some hair. Several people witnessed me shaking in rage, and I remember Heidi saying, "Uh... Amy? Are you okay?"

So, I know exactly the feeling you're talking about. Just think of these people as Je-fessica Ka-fratzers. They're idiots who don't have the pleasure of knowing the incredible people that they're talking about.

If it's any consolation, my little cousin Danny bought your dad's book because he loves human interest stories, and desperately wants it autographed. We'll have to chat 'bout that. ;)

Hugs and wuvv!
-Amy